• Week in Review – Jan 24 and 31

    As it was bound to happen, I missed getting to last week’s review, but sometimes the things we do don’t fall into tidy week long chunks. One of the things I’ve learned about myself is that I’m a perculator…if I’m working on something complex or something that involves synthesis, I have to think and read a lot before anything progresses to a writing stage. As someone who loves to cross things off a list, this is more than a bit frustrating, but I’ve come to understand it as part of my process. The plus is that usually I don’t have to spend a ton of time on drafts…one or two…

  • Week in Review – January 17

    This week in review is coming a day early as I head to Edmonton for the Junior Nationals Olympic Weightlifting competition, perfectly timed with a deep weather freeze. Let’s start with the important stuff. I finished my 2 quilt blocks for #femedtechquilt. First is a rip off/inspired by Effin Birds, using a laser printed photo transfer. This is where you reverse print your image, then apply it to fabric with gel medium. Once dried overnight, you soak it with water and gently remove the paper. The removing the paper part is a bit tricky and you have to have a fair amount of patience (which I don’t have) but after…

  • Week in Review – Jan 10

    Well, coming back after a couple of weeks off was a bit harder than I thought it would be. First, here’s what the last couple of weeks looked like. I got a new pair of snowboard boots (first pair in 20 years!!), the kind with fancy turny things that tighten them so I don’t have to do up laces. I tried them out on a spectacular – and well timed for lots of fresh powder – week with the family at Silverstar. The RWA (of which I’m a new member) imploded. The romance writing industry has notoriously privileged white, female and straight and the industry and the association has basically…

  • What can open learn from blended learning initiatives?

    In my reviewing of BC research on open, I came across a 2015 study by Irwin DeVries that used a comparative case study methodology of OERu course development with a case from FOSS development (p.77). I’ve done my share of case study research, and the comparative case study design has been one I’ve stayed away from, because I’ve never been able to reconcile how you’d avoid an apples to oranges comparison situation. Irwin’s article illustrates that this is not only doable, but also offers some possibilities that I hadn’t considered. I’m currently in the process of preparing a research proposal of institutional case study research on a few BC institutions…

  • #OpenEd 14 -Evolving towards open in a relatively closed institution

    At Open Education 2014 last week in Washington, DC,  I presented our preliminary findings on our JIBC OER study  that we conducted in September and October 2014.  The presentation can be fully accessed here but it’s a bit useless without some narrative, so here’s a summary. 1. Our institutional context – I spent some time talking about institutional context since I think it’s relevant to discussions about OER uptake especially in relation to business models, yet doesn’t often get discussed.  Since I was staying near George Washington University I did a crude comparison of GWU tuition dollars to JIBC institutional budget (and number of students). To some extent, this answers the…

  • EDEN research workshop

    I’ve been meaning to gather my thoughts on the European Distance Education Network (EDEN) Research Workshop that I recently attended in Paris.  It was my first time attending a European conference, and there was a lot to like. Paris is one of those places that you have to visit at least once in your life, so the location got top marks.  Actually being inside the UNESCO building was admittedly surreal.  The airport-like security to enter the building was one thing, but once inside, the combination of the highly preserved mid-century artifacts and architecture (photos coming) along with energy that only a world organization headquarters can provide made the epic adventure…

css.php